Nextcloud on Virtualhost

Forum home -> Tech Talk -> View topic

Posted
Rating:
#390 (In Topic #81)
Banned

Apache virtual host running Nextcloud 17 or latest

I have a fresh install of Debian 10 LAMP running Webmin and Virtualmin. I would like to self hosting multiple websites of private group of businesses using virtualmin. I've watched Jacob's video installing Nextcloud 17 and would like to use Nextcloud so that people in the business group can access, collaborate using Nexcloud. Is it possible to run Nextcloud in a vhost set up?
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
NOTS Staff

rcwsun said

Is it possible to run Nextcloud in a vhost set up?

Yes, it's possible to run Nextcloud in a virtual host setup. I'm fairly sure I covered Apache virtual host creation in at least one of my Nextcloud videos.

I am not familiar with Webmin/Virtualmin, but it looks like they use Apache as a backend, so I would imagine the process is fairly similar to what I showed, only "easier" since you've got a GUI for it.

Posted
Rating:
Banned
I followed your video Nextcloud 17 on Debian 10 on Digital Ocean. Ran into several problems.
1. when I ran the a2ensite nextcloud, and when I went to the web browser to view the default page, it is still showing the default page from served from /var/www/html/index.html it should not have been the default Apache It Works page. I then went appended  /var/www/html after It Works! line just to see if I was right. a2dissite nextcloud, web browser displayed site can be reached (make sense).
Then I copied the index.html from /var/www/html to /var/www/nextcloud appended /var/www/nextcloud to It Works! line. a2ensite nextcloud, systemctl restart apache2 hoping it will show the page from /var/www/nextcloud. Nope, it did not. I then reinstall the apache2 server. Still did not work.
2. certbot error trying someting about can't …

Anyway, I was looking in DO to reinstall the Debian 10. May the OS was corrupted or something. But, I can find it. Its not like others VPS providers. Vultr, you can resinstall the OS without destroying it.
So far my experience with digital Ocean has been very disappointing. You have to destroy the droplet to reinstall the server. Why? Vultr did not have to. I am not sure Linode is the same or not. DO is very disappointing in many things. The technical support sucks, and take a long time to reply. Over a day sometimes. Linode, very fast tech support and provided quick solutions. Vultr tech support is also very fast.
Another issue with DO, there VPS get a huge number of Brute Force Attacks hits. As many as every 5 second intervals. Even the tech support guy was shock about the numbers. I had a Jitsi server installed there and had to shut it down due to the BFA. It's hit and miss sometimes. Some IP range get a lot of BFA, some very little. I since switched to Vultr and they have been very stable no BFA. I use the datacentre in Toronto. DO, Linode, Vultr must be using the same datacentre in Toronto. They can't be that many in Toronto.

Your videos are very good. However, you might want to ease off with DO. I found them very errogant. I have a lot of credit at my work place though the DO Hatching program. I only wish they can be transfer to Vultr. My experience with Vultr has been the most positive among the three.

BTW, I would really love to join your Nerd club but, I am a struggling IT guy. One day I will.

Posted
Rating:
NOTS Staff

rcwsun said

you might want to ease off with DO. I found them very errogant.
You misspelled the word "arrogant." That said, I have no affiliation or love for DigitalOcean. I think they overcomplicate a lot of things. I prefer Linode's interface, API, technical support, locations… pretty much everything about Linode. The reason I use DigitalOcean in my tutorials right now is because I have a ton of DigitalOcean credit racked up from referrals, and I do not actually use DigitalOcean for much since I prefer Linode. So I use DigitalOcean for tutorials, which leads to more referral credit… kind of a chicken-and-egg situation. I do mention Linode whenever I mention DigitalOcean, so anyone with their ears open will know they have options.

If NOTS ever just goes down the toilet from a business perspective and I can't afford to pay the Linode bills any more, my backup plan will be to move the web server to DigitalOcean so it can stay there for free off of the credit for a few years, lol.

Posted
Rating:
Banned
 Thanks for the correction. Did not see that.
Have you encountered a2ensite issues I posted earlier?  What would you do?
I hope I won't have to destroy the droplet again, so that to keep the same IP address and resintalling the Debian 10 OS. I had originally installed CentOS 8 for the Nextcloud install. That droplet had a multiple BFA attempts, so I destroy it and went to a second droplet with Debian 10. Again had a huge number of BFA. The current droplet assigned IP address is a lot quieter. In fact there are hardly any attempts. Installed 3 and destroyed 2 droplets and reconfigured the server all in 1 day. It's very tiring.
I believe it was the a2ensite that did not make the proper change over that caused the SSL certificate generation errors and failure.
Don't know enough about apache to troubleshoot. Just looking for some direction so that to avoid reinstallation again.
I would love to drop DO for the mere fact that they operate and provide unreliable products and services like Microsoft. They marketed what they do but don't do what they say. My workplace have literally thousands of $ credits. Not much credits at Linode and Vultr. Unfortunately the people who bullsit the most always win. They sad reality of the world we live in.

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Finally got it running. Several issues with your guide  "Install Nextcloud 17 on Debian 10" at your wiki page. Your video too.
Please don't take this personally. We are all learning from other's mistakes.
As I mentioned in earlier posts, I ran into certbot not being able to issue a CA certificated. And every time I ran a2ensite nextcloud, Apache would not direct to the DocumentRoot /var/www/nextcloud as stated in your guide. First of all I don't even know how it could have advanced to anywhere from a wrong DocumentRoot location.
Tried and error with several installation of DO Droplets (6 time I believe, who is counting?)…
I finally figured out and it was clearly stated on the default page of Apache web page. The "It Works" page.
If I had installed everything on the default apache root /var/ww/html it would have worked. CA certificate would have no error.
Since I followed the guide to install nextcloud in /var/www/nextcloud the problem began.
Stated clearly on Apache default page Document Roots section, it stated for virtualhost it must be in /var/www/public_html/… This must be the Debian 10 thing.
# a2dissite nextcloud, removed /var/www/nextcloud directory. Edit the line DocumentRoot to point to /var/www/public_html/nextcloud in nextcloud.conf file in /etc/apache2/sites-available
#a2ensite nextcloud and the default page GONE. YES.
#certbot –apache ( certificate was issued successfully after a redirect question..)
From this point on, installation went without a one hitch prior to nextcloud installation.
I have downloaded 18.0.4 which is different from Nexcloud 17.
Deleted the config.php file suggested in your guide. And voilla, installation hit home without further error.

Posted
Rating:
NOTS Staff

rcwsun said

Finally got it running. Several issues with your guide  "Install Nextcloud 17 on Debian 10" at your wiki page. Your video too.
Please don't take this personally. We are all learning from other's mistakes.  
Excuse me? This is an extremely arrogant attitude. My guide clearly works, I have video proof and you watched it. The "issue" is your ability to follow instructions.

rcwsun said

Stated clearly on Apache default page Document Roots section, it stated for virtualhost it must be in /var/www/public_html/… This must be the Debian 10 thing.  
You clearly have no clue what you are talking about. It sounds like you don't speak English and you also lack any conceptual understanding of Apache virtual hosts whatsoever. The directory of your virtual host is configurable in your virtual host configuration file. Looks like you either skipped a step (didn't create a virtual host configuration file like I showed in my guide) or you messed up (created it differently from my guide.)

You are going to spread heaps of misinformation if you continue going onto forums and "correcting" people with your own lack of understanding for the rest of your life. I will ban you from this website if you do it again here.

If anybody who is new to Linux read rcwsun's posts in this topic, please disregard them and try to forget anything you might have picked up from them, because they make no sense.

Posted
Rating:
Banned
My apologies. Did not mean to hit your nerve. It won't happen again. I will voluntary remove myself out of this forum.
My knowledge of Apache is limited. From my experience, I changed the DocumentRoot as instructed on Apache as instructed. And, everything worked.
And that is all. Again, my apologies for sharing my experience of my installations.
You have done great videos and shown you passion in teaching ignorant people like me what to do. Keep up your good work. I did not mean to offend you or making you look bad.
I tried to communicate with via your email privately. You have specifically said you will only answer questions on the forum. Which I reluctantly tried to avoid.
Anyway, I got you message. I am not welcome in your group. You want me to leave.
Good Bye.

Posted
Rating:
NOTS Staff
Your account has been deactivated as you requested.

rcwsun said

I tried to communicate with via your email privately. You have specifically said you will only answer questions on the forum. Which I reluctantly tried to avoid.
I do not understand why so many people think I will answer questions privately via e-mail when that is taking up my time and only benefiting them. Why would anybody do that? What are the economics of sitting in front of an e-mail inbox answering primitive questions for free 24/7? Do you think I pull the money to pay my rent out of the air every time I answer a question on the internet? Do you think I enjoy repeatedly answering uninformed questions about basic topics? I ask people to use the forums because a) it serves as a barrier to entry that keeps out extremely low-effort questions, and b) it allows others to also see the answers so it's not just you benefiting.

I've now started just filing question e-mails away and not replying at all instead of sending a link to the forums like I used to. If someone isn't resourceful enough to locate my website, the first link in the YouTube descriptions (several lines above the email address), then they don't deserve hand-holding.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.