How to add more RTMP mobile/android broadcaster to my OBS main screen

Forum home -> Tech Talk -> View topic

Posted
Rating:
#388 (In Topic #80)
Standard member
Hello to everyone.

yesterday,after 3 days of work,I've been able to make work the jacob tutorial about how to stream audio/video in Windows with HLS and NGINX.  Now I've got another idea. Right now I can stream what I want,but one important thing is missing : the people. I would like to share on the main video of OBS the RTMP streamings of my friends. Most of them haven't any PC,but they have an android phone. I'm reading that for android there are two good tools,called larix broadcaster and newtek ndi which creates a mini RTMP server on the phone. Something like this : 
. So,if I have 3 friends with larix installed on the phone,I would add these streams on my obs main screen to make a multi conferencing streaming situation. Can I do that ?

Last edit: by ziomario

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
NOTS Staff
I don't have any experience broadcasting RTMP streams from Android. However, if you set up another RTMP server for them, once they're streaming to it, you can just add a VLC source in OBS to play back the .m3u8 URL.

I would personally recommend using a video chatting service (like Jitsi or Google Hangouts) and screen-capturing that with OBS instead, though.

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
Yesterday finally,after 3 days of researching,I've been able to find the way to connect the android phones of my friends (connected to internet with a mobile connection) to my OBS server and to restream everything on my web site. It wasn't easy,but I did it.

Posted
Rating:
NOTS Staff

ziomario said

It wasn't easy,but I did it.

Good job! That's the sign of a successful project.

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
yes,but this this method is not good. it is tricky and sometimes OBS freezes and I should restart it. It should be tested more. 

Posted
Rating:
Standard member

ziomario said

yes,but this this method is not good. it is tricky and sometimes OBS freezes and I should restart it. It should be tested more.
I have had some issues with OBS doing this as well. You could also try SLOBS. This seemed to have corrected my issue.

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
Hello. I don't understand how it works. What are the differences between SLOBS and OBS ? Anyway,there is a more elegant way to do that. It's about to make more custom FFmpeg record output,one for each mobile connection that wants to be connected to my SRT / media source listener. Right now I've been able to make only one,following the option 2 explained here :

https://obsproject.com/wiki/Streaming-With-SRT-Protocol#option-2-stream-srt-with-the-custom-ffmpeg-record-output

I can read that this way it works better,but it accepts only one port,since it can be defined only one time. But this tutorial explains how to create more customs FFmpeg record outputs on more ports :

https://medium.com/@eyevinntechnology/using-ffmpeg-and-srt-to-transport-video-signal-to-the-cloud-7160960f846a

problem is that I'm  on Windows and the tutorial is for ubuntu. Not great. I'm on WIndows because I'm using the kinect as a camera and it's not so easy to make work the Kinect on Linux.

Posted
Rating:
Standard member

jacobgkau said

I don't have any experience broadcasting RTMP streams from Android. However, if you set up another RTMP server for them, once they're streaming to it, you can just add a VLC source in OBS to play back the .m3u8 URL.

I would personally recommend using a video chatting service (like Jitsi or Google Hangouts) and screen-capturing that with OBS instead, though.

The delay on RTMP is very slow latency so its not very usefull - but if you can use SRT its much faster - I use SRT from a rpi4 with camlink.
to my computer with OBS and from this I can do rtmp to the nginx - srt is fast and a quick solution where I just open a udp port and
doing srt to udp broadcast on the loopback interface where I can show the stream in vlc also.

I have not found a way to let the srt make a HLS stream on the Nginx our using srt to the browser clients but usefull to get a stream
from the outsite to my computer with OBS its very nice or maybe doing a stream from OBS to another OBS where the lack is
just a few seconds compared to 30 seconds on rtmp.   Anyway its more secure than using just udp.

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
hello Filip .  As u can read here : https://obsproject.com/wiki/Streaming-With-SRT-Protocol#option-2-stream-srt-with-the-custom-ffmpeg-record-output

the option 2 is better than your and mine. I'm following the same approach as you (SRT as media source + RTMP on NGINX),but I'm not satisfied. It is tricky and sometime it crashes. Instead, Stream SRT with the Custom FFmpeg Record output has more advantages,such as :

• MPEGTS is not malformed and can be dumped into a recording without issues.
  • Works with more servers, clients: Wowza, Nimble Streamer, SRT Live Server, FFmpeg, ffplay, VLC, etc.
  • Several audio tracks can be streamed (for instance, track 1: main track, track 2: background music, track 3: commentary etc.) while in option 1 only a single track can be selected. OBS Studio supports up to 6 audio tracks.
I have also found this tutorial,which explains how to configure everything :

https://medium.com/@eyevinntechnology/using-ffmpeg-and-srt-to-transport-video-signal-to-the-cloud-7160960f846a

problem is that I'm using Windows as primary OS now and the tutorial is for Linux. Are u able to do the same on Windows ?  This is interesting :

The SRT Transmitter in the toolbox can also take an RTMP stream and transport using SRT to an SRT Receiver. Spin up the SRTTx Docker container on the computer running for example OBS or Wirecast and you can use SRT instead of RTMP to transfer the signal to the cloud.

The only complicated part (at least for me) is Compiling SRT with ffmpeg on Windows. Here you can find some useful tutorials :

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide

I think that there is some space for jacobgkau for making a good video tutorial on youtube.

Last edit: by ziomario

Posted
Rating:
Standard member

I needed a portable streamning solution for my videocamera  - first I used rtmp to nginx rtmp host but now using SRT stream to OBS was faster and more usable.
The RPI4 can run on a batteri pack and using wifi share on the mobilephone I can stream to my home OBS from the streets ;) and using winsocket I can
remotely change camera and OBS scenes (obs is hosted at home) on the street the internet speed is slow, but at home its faster so no problem with a
incomming connection feed via the udp ports so this is very usefull -  I just need a jister meet that did SRT to my OBS or VLC also this would be perfect.

Using winsocket to OBS I can also start/stop/record the stream but I regular desktop browser maybe needed to start the stream on facebook/Youtube

I can even use lariks apps with SRT
on the phone so I can avoid the need of NDI - I have even made multicam setup with srt feed to OBS and then OBS can do the rtmp for socialmedia or
my own nginx.  its a problem to get all cams in sync but as streams from the street to a newspaper website etc its very usefull.

I have notes for how I compiled  srt to my ffmpeg on raspberry its in Danish but

https://www.undergroundnews.dk/index.php/item/107-rtmp-eller-srt-streaming

and

https://www.undergroundnews.dk/index.php/item/98-praktisk-mini-live-streaming-setup

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
maybe I can do that on WSL.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.